By Nicos Trimikliniotis, Umut Bozkurt
Cyprus is a postcolonial island recognized for normal fuel reserves and ethnic divisions. This quantity provides a clean standpoint at the Cyprus challenge via reading the societal variations happening in the island: socioeconomic improvement, inhabitants transitions and migration, and speedily altering social and political associations.
Read or Download Beyond a Divided Cyprus: A State and Society in Transformation PDF
Best war & peace books
This e-book tells the notable tale of Birzeit college, Palestine’s oldest college within the Occupied Territories. based opposed to the backdrop of career, it truly is open to all scholars, without reference to source of revenue. placing the learn of democracy and tolerance on the middle of its curriculum, Birzeit keeps to provide idealistic adolescents who can paintings to result in a relaxed destiny.
This e-book utilises the turning out to be phenomenon of British soldier narratives from Iraq and Afghanistan to discover how British infantrymen make feel in their function on those advanced, multi-dimensional operations. It goals to intrude within the debates inside serious feminist scholarship over no matter if infantrymen can ever be brokers of peace.
- Common Ground: The Story of Greenham
- Beyond Tribal Loyalties: Personal Stories of Jewish Peace Activists
- Fighting Over Peace : Spoilers, Peace Agreements, and the Strategic Use of Violence
- The United Nations, Peace and Security: From Collective Security to the Responsibility to Protect
- Truth Recovery and Justice after conflict: Managing Violent Pasts (Routledge Studies in Peace and Conflict Resolution)
- After Post-Anarchism
Extra resources for Beyond a Divided Cyprus: A State and Society in Transformation
17. See Ignatiou et al. (2005). 18. See Fouskas and Tackie (2009); Fouskas (2010); Kostantakopoulos (2009); see also Rooksby, in this volume. 19. See Anderson (2008). 20. com/detail/230171. html (accessed March 10, 2012). 21. Precariat is a neologism that combines the meaning of the adjective precarious and the noun proletariat. 22. Research by Faiz underscores the gradual disappearance of the TurkishCypriot middle classes. We thank Muharrem Faiz. 20 NICOS TRIMIKLINIOTIS AND UMUT BOZKURT 23. For instance, the Democratic Party of Serdar Denkta¸s, son of the late Rauf Denkta¸s, the Right-wing Turkish-Cypriot leader who founded the TRNC, participated in the demonstrations in March 2011.
39. They were charged with manslaughter and causing death through a negligent act for their involvement in the events leading up to the July 11 explosion, see P. Pantelides. com/incompetence/former-ministersface-manslaughter-and-negligence-charges-mari-naval-base-blast (accessed January 13, 2012). 40. com/europes-east/russia-bails-cash-strapped-cyprusnews-508182 (accessed December 15, 2011). 41. 4 billion) due to Greek government bond restructuring, Marﬁn said in a statement. 32 billion Euros. 42.
Radionz. nz/news/world/68405/row-over-austerity-measures-in-north-cyprus. 44. See Laskos, Milios, and Tsakalotos (2012). 45. These include slogans such as “Ankara, take your hands off us; this motherland is ours, we will run it”; “This is our country, let’s run it ourselves”; and “Take your hands off Turkish-Cypriots”, see Vela J. , “Turkish Cypriots protest austerity measures”, Southeast European Times in Istanbul, February 2, 2011. 46. The stabbing of the Turkish-Cypriot musician Sertunc Akdo˘gu in Larnaca at the Rainbow festival in November 2011 marks an escalation of racial violence, see Trimikliniotis and Demetriou 2010.
Beyond a Divided Cyprus: A State and Society in Transformation by Nicos Trimikliniotis, Umut Bozkurt