By Peter Lawler
Areas the paintings of Johan Galtung within the context of prior and present debates in diplomacy, political concept, and extra as a rule, within the social sciences. This accomplished and demanding account scrutinises Galtung's conceptual icons, comparable to, confident peace and structural violence.
Read or Download A Question of Values: Johan Galtung's Peace Research PDF
Best war & peace books
This booklet tells the awesome tale of Birzeit collage, Palestine’s oldest college within the Occupied Territories. based opposed to the backdrop of career, it's open to all scholars, regardless of source of revenue. placing the examine of democracy and tolerance on the center of its curriculum, Birzeit keeps to provide idealistic youth who can paintings to lead to a relaxed destiny.
This publication utilises the becoming phenomenon of British soldier narratives from Iraq and Afghanistan to discover how British infantrymen make experience in their position on those complicated, multi-dimensional operations. It goals to intrude within the debates inside of severe feminist scholarship over even if squaddies can ever be brokers of peace.
- Moral Entrepreneurs and the Campaign to Ban Landmines. (At the Interface Probing the Boundaries)
- Skies to Conquer: A Year Inside the Air Force Academy
- The Geography of War and Peace: From Death Camps to Diplomats
- Profiles in Humanity: The Battle for Peace, Freedom, Equality, and Human Rights
- Darwinism, War and History: The Debate over the Biology of War from the 'Origin of Species' to the First World War
Additional resources for A Question of Values: Johan Galtung's Peace Research
27 Though central to Galtung's task, this theory of personal growth was left unexplored, as was the implied connection between it and politics: Did politics precede or was it consequent upon the realization of the full range of needs? The foundational value dimensions were subdivided further according to whether they reflected "distribution-oriented dimensions," such as diversity, socioeconomic growth, equality, and social justice, or "structure-oriented dimensions," such as equity, autonomy, solidarity, and participation.
On face value, the emphasis on personal growth appears to correspond with a marxist understanding of nonalienated existence, especially if Galtung's definition of work is borne in mind. But Galtung's notion of personal growth also draws upon the liberal concept of individual freedom, read as the antonym of uniformity and expressive of the structural quality of autonomy. 38 Galtung's search for nonoccidental values extended into some cursory descriptive explorations of Chinese and Japanese religions, languages, cultures, and social orders.
8. Galtung, Theory and Methods of Social Research, p. 490. 9. " pp. 161-162. Â < previous page < previous page 34 page_132 page_133 next page > next page > 35 Page 133 10. Galtung, "Socio-Cultural Factors and the Development of Sociology in Latin America," pp. 158-160. 11. Galtung, "Positivism and Dialectics," p. 214. 12. " This paper was never accepted by an academic journal, perhaps because the paper draws analogies between certain forms of left-wing scholarship and nazism. even though it starts off by asking German readers not to take it too seriously.
A Question of Values: Johan Galtung's Peace Research by Peter Lawler